Yeah, I know this stuff is obvious, but sometimes we need to be reminded of the obvious. We need to be hit in the face with it so we will do something about it.
- Cut the rest of the world some slack. I put this number one because I can think of no better way to chill out and enjoy yourself than just giving it a break. Who cares what anyone else is doing or how they are doing it or why they are doing it? I don’t.
- Cut yourself some slack. Give yourself the same break you need to give everyone else. You don’t have to be perfect. The food doesn’t have to be perfect. The place settings don’t have to be perfect. Your house doesn’t have to be spotless. Don’t try to impress yourself or anyone else.
- Take it easy. Don’t hurry or rush. Do everything in a relaxed easy going manner. Don’t tense yourself up no matter what it is your are doing. Athletes that stay relaxed run faster, swim faster, and move with less effort and more grace. There is something wonderful about slowing down and taking it easy. In the words of Foghat – Slow ride, take it easy.
- Do something for the pure enjoyment of it. To some of you this may be a radical concept but give it a try. It doesn’t have to be productive. It doesn’t have to have a pay off at some future time. It doesn’t have to please anyone else. It just has to be fun for you.
- Do something with wonderful people. If you can combine doing something for the pure enjoyment of it with spending time with wonderful people you might just find your little slice of heaven. There is almost nothing better than spending time with wonderful, positive people.
- Play Your Favorite Music. The other night I went to a local bar with some wonderful people for the pure enjoyment of it. We played our favorite music from days gone by. I remember nothing else about that day.
- Turn off the TV and don’t read any news. The odds of being exposed to something that makes you feel good is about 1 in 10.
- Avoid Toxic People. I know sometimes you just can’t, but at least try. If your toxic mother in-law comes over for the holidays, first cut her some slack. Then go somewhere in the house she isn’t. Go to a movie with your sister. You can find some way to avoid toxic people if you try. If you can’t then just pretend like they aren’t even there.
- Eat food you absolutely love. This shouldn’t be difficult this time of year. Take it easy because you just remember the last bite anyway. Don’t stuff yourself or you will find yourself thinking about how bad you feel instead of how good it was. Seriously, you should eat, drink, and be merry!
- Make remembering the wonderful things you did the last thing you do before going to bed. This is my wonderful day version of Peak-End Experiences Matter Most.
Happy Holidays to everyone!
Get Free Updates to The Rat Race Trap by Email here or via a reader in the top left sidebar. I would love to have you on board.
If you liked this please share it on your social network sites by clicking the share this button below: