Unless you want to be caught in the claws and jaws of the rat race predators, you need to pay careful attention to what follows. When you look up toward the sky, you will see a large kettle (group) of vultures circling overhead and the hawks and wolves lurk near you in the trees and bushes. They are waiting for you to take a step outside where they can gobble you up.
When you decide to follow your dream and escape the rat race, you are vulnerable. You are going to see so many get-rich-quick schemes and scams flying in your direction you won’t know which direction is up. These will be presented in very convincing presentations, using tried and true marketing techniques, wrapped inside the most powerful testimonials from the allegedly new rich. There is no way you can lose right? All the money you ever wanted is just around the corner and all you have to do is reach out and grab it.
It simply doesn’t work that way. Yes you can achieve your dreams. Yes you can be happy and successful. Yes you can earn more than you ever have before. No it is not easy. No it is not quick. And no it does not come without a price. If you want something and are not willing to pay the price to get it, you are going to end up very disappointed. I am not going to link you to dozens of sites promising rivers of money will soon flow your way. You need to learn the principles that will sustain you over the long-term. I want you to be part of this community for the long term and so I am going to earn your trust.
There are two strategies you can follow right now to achieve your escape.
The first is to make major changes in your current life situation and the second is to change careers and do something entirely different with your life. You must apply the first strategy regardless and the second one around career change will also be used by many people. However you do not have to use the second strategy. Many people won’t and will still benefit enormously. The whole point of this article is to convince you to make this decision carefully and deliberately.
The first strategy detailed below is very important as it will sustain you during your escape and for the rest of your life no matter what you decide in regards to career change. Please don’t rush into that decision or you will find yourself in a heap of trouble. I will post some information in the next few days on some resources you can begin looking into if you feel a change is necessary right now. I suggest that you get your life in order first and then you will have the necessary foundation to make a very successful career change later.
Make life changes now, no matter what your current situation.
There are very few people who won’t benefit tremendously from some major changes in the way they approach their personal and professional lives. Make these changes now and continue to grow positively, and you almost certainly will find happiness and success in your current job or business. You will benefit from these changes for the rest of your life.
I will continue to provide a lot of content in this blog to help you achieve these changes. They are remarkably straightforward if you know what to do. Here are some resources to help you get started.
- Follow the steps to finding happiness that were described in the Find Happiness Outside of the Rat Race series. Here is a great article from Zen Habits: First Your Feelings: Then Your Action Plan. This article from Goodlife Zen is also very good: What is the ONE Thing in Your Life
- Check out Derek’s Success Tips.
- Drink in everything Leo Babauta. I realize I’m bordering on hero worship, but I simply think the guy is fantastic. Here is his book: Power of Less, The: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential…in Business and in Life by Leo Babauta. Here is his web site: Zen Habits
- Continue to participate in The Rat Race Trap community. I am committed to doing everything possible to help you get that great life you deserve. There is so much more to come and I can hardly wait to put it out there for you. We can all help each other here by actively participating in the comments and getting discussion threads going.
- Review the Must Read and Killer categories to your right in the link sidebar. You will find a lot of good information there now and it will continue to grow rapidly as the site content builds. Some of those articles were mentioned above.
- Get your finances in order. You must at least be financially stable before you make any major changes. Stable finances are a key to long-term success and you must start right now. The following link is to a nice blog on personal finances, and there is a ton of content. You probably will have to browse around to find exactly what you want but it is a great resource Here is the link to the basics category of Get Rich Slowly. There are a million articles on the Internet and so just start Googling personal finances. You can expect a lot of future content here on this blog around financial success in the future. Here are a couple of starter articles to get you going:
Much, much, more to come. Please let me know what you think.
- Don’t Be Scammed Out of the Rat Race A daunting 42-to-1 “scam ratio” in online work-at-home job leads...
- Escape the Rat Race by Reducing Your Commitments Another important way to make time for your dreams is...
- Escape the Rat Race by Becoming a Career Renegade Do you wish you could make a living while at...
- Warning: This Board Game Could Get You Out of the Rat Race Note from Stephen: This is a guest post by Marj...
- Find Happiness Outside the Rat Race – Part 3 Whatever you give up in core needs, makes you less...